Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cows & Roasted Chickens!

Good afternoon everyone, I am pleased to say that Snowflake continues to improve and get stronger every day.....aside from any unexpected complications, I feel like she will make a full recovery! I hope to get some new pictures tomorrow to post, but in the meantime, I am posting a roasted chicken recipe.

I sort of winged it on the spice rub recipe (pun intended, LOL).....I just made it up and tasted it as I went. This chicken turned out moist and full of flavor!


Oven Roasted BBQ Spiced Chicken

1-  4 to 5 pound roasting chicken
1/2 Stick Butter at room temperature
1/4 cup of paprika (sweet or smoked)
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP White Sugar
1 TBSP Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (or more or less to taste)
1 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
Grated Zest of 1 Whole Lemon
1 Onion, Peeled and Quartered, (Optional)
Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil


Preheat oven to 375*F

First, I discard any pieces in the cavity such as the giblets or neck, and then I wash and pat dry my chicken with paper towels, and place it on a lightly greased roasting pan...........






Mix all spices and Lemon Zest together until thoroughly mixed in small bowl, then mix about 1/3 of that mixture together with the butter in another small bowl........





Next, take your chicken with breast side up, and gently run your fingers under the skin to form a pocket between the flesh and skin, all the way to the legs and both sides of the breasts..................






Then, take the spiced butter and stuff in the pockets that you made and gently squeeze and distribute the seasoned butter all between the skin and the meat, and pull the skin back to it's original position...........



  Then you take the remaining spice mixture and rub it all over the chicken, front and back......





I then take my quartered onion and stuff into the cavity of the chicken and drizzle the chicken all over with the olive oil............. 



Ready for the oven......see you after while gorgeous...... :-D

I roast my chicken on 375* for about 30 minutes, then lower the oven temp to about 300* and cook for approximately 2 to 2 and a half more hours. This time of course depends on the size of your chicken, and your oven, so you may need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.\


So....you end up with this.....so exciting.....




Ummmm.....Errrrr........I meant to just pick a little piece off the leg while I waited for the rest of supper to get done, but as you can see, I got a little carried away............




Have you ever seen such a beautiful hunk of meat in your life?!?!?





If you love chicken...you have to try this recipe......delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment